Saturday, January 26, 2019

Downsizing creates challenges

It has been a steady practice in organization and purging lately! We had made a couple runs to the storage facility picking up boxes for the kitchen and master bedroom that I spent days going through trying to figure out what I had room for, what was necessary to keep and what could I donate. Even though I did the same thing before we packed up our old house, there was still room for purging! I was able to give quite a bit of kitchen supplies to someone who needed them, the rest is going to the swap shop at the dump. Steve was here over the MLK weekend and we had some of our furniture delivered which has been great albeit a glaring reminder that we downsized by 1000 sq.ft! BUT, I have a couch, instead of just an arm chair to watch TV or read on and of course the dogs are super happy about it as well...giant dog beds! Because there is limited space in my bedroom the dogs are now uncrated and have been for quite some time. It has been weird for me to get used to this as I've always crated my dogs but it's working out for the most part and gates keep them from going upstairs or can keep them in my bedroom if people are in the house working. Sadie LOVES having our contractor John here every day, he is a dog lover and she knows he is good for petting and snuggles throughout the day.

Speaking of John, he has been busy up in what will eventually be Caitie's bedroom. There was some structural support he needed to work on as well as replacing windows. The front two windows have been replaced and today he is working on the third. Originally we were just going to get rid of that window altogether until we realized we needed a window large enough to meet code, so we are putting in the appropriate sized window. He still needs to build her closet frame and then insulate and sheetrock the room....we have a ways to go but it's getting there. Once he's finished in there he will move to the upstairs bathroom and start the process of gutting and putting that back together. That will be the last work on the house until later this year. We still need to gut the living room, Rylie's room, laundry room, teen/craft room, kitchen and front entry hall and front door to install insulation, new windows and new sheetrock, not to mention tear down the porch and redo that whole thing too. This house will be a work in progress for a few years to come!

We all have been doing well, busy with various activities and work. Steve has been working on reviews of his employees for some time now and that has been challenging his brain. I have been busy with group classes, private lessons and trying to keep the house from looking like a hoarder lives here (the porch made my eye twitch for a while). The girls are still working hard in drama after school to get ready for their play performances in March. They've also started the school ski program on Tuesdays. They continue to make me a raving lunatic every school day morning trying to get them up and out of the house on time. I keep searching for that magical trick...so far no luck.

That's all the news that's fit to print. I hope you all are doing well this winter, feel free to stop by for a visit, just let me know ahead of time so I can try and make the house presentable!

I made Curtains for Rylie's room!



Caitie's room with front windows removed

New windows

Getting ready for furniture to be delivered

Jamming it all in


Organizing my kitchen cabinets







They love having the couch!




More organizing! I finally finished painting this cabinet, now I just need to find the door hardware for the bottom!

Last night's challenge, an exciting Friday night!
But look what I made! More storage AND more counter prep space!














No comments:

Post a Comment