Sunday, April 15, 2018

Failure lies in perspective

So it's been a pretty mundane week. Steve is still in TN and won't be back again until very late Thursday night. He's been away 3 weeks this time, I hate it. The girls have managed to get ready and out the door at my designated time twice this week which leaves them 3 more days to get it right before they can earn their electronics back! Teens and mornings DO NOT mix. Rylie and I watched "Murder on the Orient Express" last night, she loved it and is now wanting to read Agatha Christie books! After the girls went to bed, I watched Deadpool. It was hilarious, not quite as offensive as I thought it would be but still pretty much in the gutter! The weather actually seemed a tad more spring like a few days this week...today it is sleeting and the ground is covered in white. It seems we had a brief spring, skipped summer and fall altogether and went right back to winter. I am looking more and more forward to our move south, Steve told me it was 75 the other day!

Of course I say that and then I get a chance to let the dogs run off leash in our back woods and I know I will miss this place immensely. This home really has everything I want in a home (besides the climate), space, quiet, comfort, wildlife and safety. It is interesting to note that both homes I felt the most at home in, of all the homes we've lived in in our relationship, have been in NH. Our first home, while it was small, was much like this one, quiet, on a lovely cut de sac, safe and with lots of space. Plus, that is where my babies came home so that house will always be my favorite. This current home fits us and we had plans to make it fit us better as we aged so we weren't needing to climb stairs so frequently. The one thing we always said about this house is it had endless potential to be whatever we needed. Life had other plans.

This new home will fit us as well and is just as adaptable. I really like that the master is on the first floor! Good for aging knees as well as aging dogs! Its' five acres are already fully fenced and with plenty of room for gardening, agility and maybe a mini cow or two! I am excited about naming our home (name to be revealed all in good time) as well as making it as comfortable as I knew it could be when I walked in. The girls will have enormous rooms; Rylie will have her own secluded "library" and Caitie will have a separate space for all of her "catifying" ideas (Thanks Jackson Galaxy). There's even a perfect space for the Guinea pigs! Steve and I will have a combined office craft space and I can add a dog shower to the huge laundry room. There is a lovely guest room with it's own bathroom and the patios are beautiful. It will be a great home, It just means I have to leave THIS great home.

I had a little epiphany yesterday (hence the blog title). I hosted a Homeschool Science Fair that I volunteered for last year thinking Rylie would be able to participate. I posted it in one of the homeschooling FB groups and had 27 children sign up. I rented out the community center here in Peterborough, made up certificates and judging sheets and opened the doors at noon yesterday. Three children and their families showed up. I was embarrassed and annoyed. The kids were having fun showing each other their projects (they were all under 9) and by 12:30 I asked the parents if they would like me to bring out the scooters from the equipment room. The kids enjoyed riding around the gym for the next 40 min. or so while I gave other people time to show up...no one did. So, I went around and had each child explain to me their project. The only little girl to show up did a project on fossils. She had done all her own research and typed it all up. She made salt dough fossils as well as used one of those kits that kid chip away at to find the fossils inside. The next little boy was 6 and he was dressed in a nice little button up shirt and khaki pants and he told me all about the wobble bot he made. The oldest boy was so shy his mother had to help him explain his project, but I was able to get out of him that he wants to be an astronaut and that is why his project was about why the sky is blue. After seeing all the projects I went back and filled out the certificates, everyone got one of course but you know what, everyone deserved one! Afterwards, as they were cleaning up, the little girl told me it was her first science fair and it was "the best ever" and the 6 year old boy gave me a hug to thank me for putting on the fair. The older boy gave me a big smile as I handed him his certificates. I left the gym realizing, what I thought was a failure to meet expectations, these kids thought was incredible. They were just happy to have been able to participate and show off all they learned, I'm sure the scooters helped too! So like the title says, failure is all in your perspective. So try to look at things the way a 6 year old might and maybe you'll see the good through it all.

Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment