Thursday, May 10, 2018

Catharsis and reclaiming my time

So, that lovely white house has been scrapped. We rescinded our offer due to their lack of cooperation regarding the very serious issues needing repair. It was a stressful and sad process getting to that point and once we did we didn't really feel any better as there just seemed to be no good options out there for us. We started questioning whether certain aspects in a home were really that important to us and if we could settle for something less. I can't imagine living on a tiny lot in a big neighborhood, I would feel so claustrophobic and exposed. I do not want to be able to have a conversation with my neighbor while we both sit on our own patios! I used to fantasize about life living in a condo or apartment in a place like downtown Boston or even just downtown Peterborough, being able to walk everywhere and enjoy the vibrancy of a downtown...alas, I'm really not that person. So we were panicking a little thinking we'd have to settle for a smaller lot and then spend the next year or so finding something better. As of right now we have two really good options. Neither are slam dunks but both are pretty darn close and really, to me, the most important element is the property and both have wonderful property, both a little over 5 acres and beautiful. So, we start the process over again and hopefully this time it sticks. The other nice thing about these houses is that they are both brand spanking new! So as not to jinx myself again I won't be sharing the houses until we choose one and have a contract on it!

Steve comes home this weekend, YAY!! He will have to deal with the issue of my new habit of taking over our entire Cal. King bed but I don't think he'll mind! LOL

Last night I participated in my very first Town Meeting Open Session and coincidentally my last 😔
It was quite invigorating even though it was quite inefficient in the beginning getting everyone  registered to vote. I suspect it is not always so but since last night the big issue on hand was a bond issue for a new library, the place was packed! I had originally planned to stay only for the library vote but after hearing some of the community people speak their concerns, I decided not to leave the fate of all the items on the agenda to a bunch of tight fisted, short sighted, old people! Seriously people, when I say our town is filled with old people, I am in no way exaggerating. The fastest expanding market here is Senior living facilities, they keep expanding! It's grey hair city here! Now, before you start screaming "Ageism", I have no issue with elderly, they are a great asset to a community...unless they have no vision for keeping the town vibrant and growing. We have an issue with declining students in the schools causing discussions about closing some area elementary schools. We need to think long term and make this town more attractive to young families but that means moving into the 21st century with improvements to the infrastructure. Blah, blah, blah, right? I love Peterborough and would love to see it continue to thrive. It really is a great place to raise kids in a safe and secure community. Anywhoo, The new library bond passed as did most of the other big ticket improvements to the downtown area, so I am happy I participated. I kind of wish I had been participating this whole time. I always vote but never bothered with Town meeting, regretfully.

The child drama saga continues and tonight I get to make it worse by telling Caitie she can't go to her fiends party tomorrow night. I will likely be the "worst mom ever" and I'm sure she will call me all kinds of names in her journal. Sigh...

I have been reclaiming my time from technology lately and it has been wonderful! I had started cutting down on FB scrolling but found I was still doing too much so, inspired by a friend, I deleted the app from my phone to force the issue more. It has been an adjustment to enjoy just "being" and to not be entertained every second! I have spent more time outside, more time with my dogs, listening to more music and dancing and I've been working on an especially difficult craft project that has required patience and concentration. The project has been excellent in helping me process the stress of house hunting and handling a 12 year old devil. I am really happy with how it turned out and Rylie was super thrilled with the results too (they are a gift for her new room in TN)!

I hope all of you have a wonderful weekend, enjoy your family, friends and time on this earth...tomorrow in never guaranteed! 💕

Oh, yeah, I got to finish my tattoo work on my left shoulder. The triangles are where my old band was. This was free drawn on my arm by my very talented tattoo artist. I love it!


Rylie and I got some ice cream before we went to see Black Panther in town and this rainbow graced us with it's presence!

Hanging out in town, enjoying some of my favorite spots:


Art catharsis...


Exercise catharsis...


Participating in town government!


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the house, but just means something better is coming for you guys. Love the blog, thanks for keeping us updated, and staying creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer about the house, but I guess you have to believe that things happen for a reason...
    Love the tat update!

    ReplyDelete